Hello Everyone,

August 2019

It's been over 3 years since I have posted any material.

Today I begin with a trilogy based off a challenge someone gave me.

Enjoy the read

~g

May 14, 2012

AndMore...Officer... NJ... the thievery and lies... Oh Why?

I grew up in New Jersey, I have moved to a few states but always found my way back.  Much of the charm long gone I have come to realize this is not the state to retire in.  Not the state to afford insurance.  Not the state for fair treatment of people.

My darling niece came to visit with me and stayed a few days.  The time together was both special and refreshing.  On a Saturday night I drove her home.  Since we planned a few things for the day it would be late when we headed to South Jersey.  She lives about 2 hours away.  My poor knees can't handle long drives anymore, so a Saturday night would be just right to take it slow.

We got to her town in good time although the hour was late in the night, 10:30.  As soon as I got off the exit I noticed two things.

1.  There was no one on the road (Rte 9)
2.  There was however a cop in his car parked in the Supermarket lot across from the highway

I made the right out of the exit and went straight on Rte 9 for about 1/2 mile, the required left turn was coming up.  The cop was now coming along my right and passing me.  At the light is a lane just for left turns, then 3 more lanes to the right of it.  He was two lanes from me.  At the green light I made the turn.  Not too long after I saw the cop behind me and with the light on, considering no one else was on the road I could only guess it was for me.  I pulled over.  A young stiff cop approached, highly upset that I 'almost hit his car and only missed it by an inch'.  He repeated this several times.  I could only stare in shock at the blatant lie.  He asked 'didn't you realize'.........This is it.......the moment.....when you could ignite the situation further and contradict a cop clearly looking for a fight or just swallow your pride.  I swallowed until I choked.

The lie
Long story short, he asked for my paperwork, while reaching across to the glove compartment I kept a vigilant silent prayer 'please don't let him be a crazy cop looking for trouble.'  My niece said 'you didn't do that'.  I told her to be quiet.  In my nervousness I dropped some papers.  I had my license, registration but the insurance card was expired.  I knew that just days before I had put the new card in the compartment.  But I could not find it.  He took what I had in my hands and stormed off to his car.

My niece asked 'why don't you tell him he is lieing'.  I answered 'because he has a gun and an attitude, that's  a bad mix.'

I'm not one to use a race card, actually I detest that it gets thrown around a lot but the reality is there is racism.  It exists and sometimes it wears a uniform.

The second lie
'I'm going to let you go on careless driving and not give you a ticket.  I am giving you one for not having the right insurance card.  You can either go to court and fight it, which means coming back here and paying the ticket plus traveling cost or just go online and pay the $30 ticket fee.'  He smiled.

I thought 'he accuses me of almost hitting me but gives me a ticket for the card......whatever' at this point I just want to get my niece home and leave the South.

Lost faith
Turns out the ticket can not be paid online.  It is a mandatory court appearance, a $187 ticket plus court fees.  Miserable, lying cop!

Court
$11.25 in tolls and $30 in gas later....
You and any bag you carry are searched then ushered into a tiny court room that looks like it's falling apart.  The prosecutor aside from the search happy cops are the only ones in there.  A line is formed where everyone is given a choice by the prosecutor.  Your choices are the full payment of the ticket or a reduction plus court fees, you are encouraged in a round about way to take the guilty plea or you would have to return after pleading Not Guilty.  Most optioned Guilty.

The sad truth
The fees are a scam.  People with accidents paid less then me.
The process is the same as an assembly line at a factory.
That court must have met their monthly quota in that morning.
You just take the easy way once you realize even to fight for your right means traveling back and forth, paying an attorney and still hoping the Judge is in a good mood.
Court completely depends on a Judge's mood.

Conclusion
I hate South Jersey
It is sad when you both fear and despise the people who swear an oath to protect you
It is sadder yet when those people are pathological liars
I still spent over $100 just in reduced ticket and court fees
I couldn't head North fast enough

No comments:

Post a Comment