Hello Everyone,

August 2019

It's been over 3 years since I have posted any material.

Today I begin with a trilogy based off a challenge someone gave me.

Enjoy the read

~g

December 01, 2013

AndMore... Can you boil a Turkey...in an oven? Why Yes!

Yes you can!


My poor sister had to work Thanksgiving so I went to her house the night before prepared to help with the cooking.  She seasoned the larger then new born infant bird and I recommended she turn it breast side down over night so it could marinade well.  She was to turn the turkey over in the morning when she would put it in the oven before leaving for work.


I was appreciative to sleep a little late since I normally get up very early to tackle a lengthy commute to work.  When I woke and sat with my cup of coffee I thought to take a peek at the turkey.  She had put it in a plastic bag, one of those sold specifically for turkey.  Due to the marinade I could only see the outline.  It looked okay... I guess.


Sis works for Wal-Mart and their Black Friday was being held on Thanksgiving Thursday.  What a family company!  Keep the workers in on a day to feast and give thanks.

Her daughter works part time there as well when she is not in school.  That day she too was working, she got the worst hours too, 1pm to 10pm.  So much for dinner at all.  Three hours in she was already told to take her dinner break.  I will never understand retails regard for store personnel.  Some stores have gotten better about it, but some like Wal-Mart seem to get worse.


The turkey was being held hostage in the oven for a slow cook.  So, I figured at I would pick up sis.  Bring her home early enough for her to handle the stuffing (yuck) and mashed potatoes.  I had already taken care of the rice.


In the time it took to get there and watch the Black Friday horror (on a Thursday) and go back to her house, her husband had taken a nap, thus the rice burned.  The turkey was still doing fine. While pulling into the parking space sis asked... Did you turn the turkey around?

I wondered what the heck she was talking about.  Well, the turkey was cooking breast side down.  The question further confused me because SHE was the one that woke to put it in the oven.


The question at the start of this was - Can you boil a turkey?  In the oven?  The answer is a profound YES.  That bird fell off the bones.  Literally fell off while she was trying to put it on a platter.  It was also the most thoroughly seasoned turkey I had ever tasted.

I made more rice, this time it was not burned.  The potatoes came out nicely mashed without a hitch.  However the stuffing was forgotten.  Two boxes sat on the counter.  (Yuck)

After that mishap I wonder why anyone would cook a bird right side up. I mean, it takes the worries of dry turkey and not seasoned enough right out of ones mind.  Granted, you would have to break open that bag and let the top brown a bit, but if you put the oven high enough it could happen before the meat collapsed.


In a world where people are fighting, literally fist fighting on Black Friday store lines, clerks are told off by ranting customers, staff are working hours no one should and families are barely having the time to sit together... an upside down turkey doesn't even make the list of Oh Man! WTF?  It merely warranted giggles from sisters and a hushed conversation so the kids could not hear.

Just so I can write it on a blog and shake my head while typing.  Who needs a perfect turkey?  Not us, we did just fine drowning one in a day long medium set heated oven.  No stuffing (yuck), loads of mashed potato and rice.  I pat my tummy just remembering that feast.

Are you tapping yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment