Hello Everyone,

August 2019

It's been over 3 years since I have posted any material.

Today I begin with a trilogy based off a challenge someone gave me.

Enjoy the read

~g

November 17, 2012

AndMore...Is being realistic the same as being negative?


With all the positive messages going on, The Secret exploding on book shelves and talk show hosts promoting the theme...have we lost a grip on reality?

It's been a stressful year.  Not just day, week or month.  By the time the Sandy Storm came I was already burning out.  After the storm I felt more like a numb person just going through the motions.  My mid day break during the week is the time where I mentally tally the day.  I have to figure out what will be done and what else will sit on the burner.  By the time I walk back to my desk I would have a plan.


One day on my break I was deep in thought and someone noticed.  There is so much to say about the conversation that followed, but I will stick to the theme of this post.  He asked why I was deep in thought and looking so exhausted.  I explained my one way 6 hour commute was getting to me.  Prior to the storm the 2-3 hour it would take was getting to me. Before I could say that at some point things will change, he began his chant.  'Your health comes first. Perhaps you have no man because you are wasting your time with just work (he asked if I were married earlier in conversation).  You need to be positive and believe everything will go your way.  You must put your health first and leave a job that takes most of your life. You are miserable because you are negative.'


Incredible! He got all that with a 3 sentence answer to a question.  I replied in bullet form.
My health is taken care of due to the insurance from my job.
My relationship status is my concern...thanks
I am positive.  I am also realistic.  Leaving a job doesn't pay the rent, Dr. or bills.

He was so upset that he was yelling.  Saying that it was no use 'helping me' because I liked being miserable.  That I was not positive and therefore miserable.  I laughed.

The irony is...I was only miserable after he started talking to me.


A friend was telling me about how she wanted to begin looking into how to save money to purchase a home.  To get with an accountant to see about the best way to begin that process.  A friend of hers began to say how all she had to do was believe she would get a home and BHAM! it would arrive.


Another friend was having issues with her husband.  He was always narcissistic, lately more so.  Another friend of ours was overpowering the conversation by saying she just had to believe that things will change and they will.  No other effort required.


This reminds me of the mother years ago that was schizophrenic.  She was also a devout christian.  Rather then take her medication she believed that by believing she would he healed.  She was given the guidance that she had to believe she would be cured, if she wasn't then she didn't believe.  The voices ended up telling her to kill her sons.  One died, one survived thanks to his father.  Her belief did not waiver.

I have no problem with believing.  Even less problem with visualizing, however I don't believe that we were created the way we are so that we could be lazy egomaniacs sitting around waiting for things to happen.


Believing that my commute would get better didn't happen.  It's worse.  Believing that a house would fall on my friends lap, didn't happen.  What will happen is looking clearly with an open mind for all the options that open up when one pays attention.

I believe that a small book was created by repeating very small portions of what others spent years compiling.  It's not just about believing, it's not just about being positive.  It's about being open, being ready and working towards a greater goal.

It is by talking aka networking that we find out what is out there.  Yet, one can't talk without being accused of being negative.  One can't dream or plan without getting preached about being positive.   It's the new religion.  It really is.

So... I ask.... does being realistic equate to being negative?

I don't think so.  If I see a truck coming at me, I will realistically move out of the way.  Not stand there and be positive that the outcome will be positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment