Hello Everyone,

August 2019

It's been over 3 years since I have posted any material.

Today I begin with a trilogy based off a challenge someone gave me.

Enjoy the read

~g

May 13, 2013

NYC Latin Style - Happy Birthday to YOU

So a few weeks ago was my friends birthday, you will remember her as the Cuban Missile.  I'm terrible at gift giving.  I hate shopping, I rarely listen when people talk about the things they like and I really throw a shit fit if someone regifts.

DINNER!  That was the plan.  Only I still don't know NY and have terrible luck when I pick a place. I asked her to pick one.  Dinner after a work and a drink or two then the commute to Jersey, that was the plan.  Obviously I forget the last time we went out.

She picked a great place that she has been going to for years, Rio Grande (I hope I got the name right), it took 1/2 an hour for me to get a cab, those can drivers really hate stopping at the upper East side.  I finally threatened asked nicely a cabby that was off duty, he actually complied.

I get to the restaurant and am amazed that it is a nice place on the East Side on 38th Street.  People were actually smiling.  The Cuban Missile was at the bar holding a rather large marguerita glass and a huge smile.  She immediately ordered me one, a Peach delight to my taste buds.  There was a long wait for a table, but hey, we laugh, talk and wait patiently.

The food in a word Heavenly.  The amount served is large enough to order one, share and still have left over to take home.  The service was just wonderful, in part due to everyone knowing the Cuban Missile.  It was great also in part because the staff were just wonderful people that were enjoying the crowd.

It was just great to not only celebrate her birthday but also to have some time with someone that can talk and listen about anything under the sun except work.  I mean... who wants to get out of work to talk about work?????

I didn't even realize the time, it didn't feel like a long time.  I told her I was going to walk to the train station, she gave me a look that said {she's fucking nuts}.

I began my walk enjoying the scenery.  After a while I thought I was lost, I asked a couple and they assured me I was going the right way.  I get to the station and look at the monitor and am surprised that it is after 11pm.  My train left 8 minutes early and once I get to Secaucus it would be another 3 hour wait.  I had to go to work the next day.

I text Marguerite that either I stayed with her or slept at the station.  She had some choice words that related to just get to her place.  I stuck my arm out and a cab immediately came to an abrupt stop.  I gave the address and said not to dilly dally that I was not a tourist and he FLOORED it.  Time span did not exist.  We got there so fast that a normal $17 cab fare was $7.  I mean when he stopped the tires screeched.

I was welcomed in and at that late hour we just went to separate bedrooms with a good nite.  It was an incredible feeling to wake up and walk 3 minutes to my job.  It just threw my day off, I was happy from the start and completely unstressed.  I tell ya that commute is a killer.

Two Latin women just having dinner in the city, drinks and laughs.  I mean....  isn't that what it's about?  Relaxing, no drama and just enjoying a great meal?  Celebrating a birthday without the stress of gift giving.  I have to say.......I have learned this very late.

No comments:

Post a Comment