Hello Everyone,

August 2019

It's been over 3 years since I have posted any material.

Today I begin with a trilogy based off a challenge someone gave me.

Enjoy the read

~g

July 07, 2010

Weddings without the nightmare..David Tutera taught me a thing or two about humble cake

I have written many, many AndMore’s about the nightmares of weddings. I was hesitant about writing the following in an AndMore because it was not so much an event that happened in my life, rather an awakening.


So….since I was at a seminar as an observant, I shall write this as the watcher I can be.

David Tutera comes to NY

I am a member of the Learning Annex, I love their services. They have live classes as well as online and on those many nights sleep escapes me I can do some learning. One day I notice that David Tutera, star of the My Fair Wedding on the WETV channel was going to do a seminar on how to become a successful Event Planner. It was a live class. Most of you that have followed my writing know of my disdain for weddings.

Aside from the fact that I barely see relationships last, I know many that marry because of their clock ticking, just for the production of having a wedding better than their friends. And, some people that start out nice enough and become the full blown Bridezilla shows are made of; losing friends, family relationships and their own morals in the process. Yes, I have great disdain for weddings.

A friend of mine has an event business that she has let fall to the way side. Allowing life and its turmoil’s to get in the way. This woman is vibrant, if anyone can throw a party with zeal and flair, this woman can. I wanted her to go to this seminar and let this man that I watch on TV talk about event planning and hopefully igniting her goals.

In the show I watch this man transform weddings for couples that would be able to afford to have the weddings of their dream. What I like about the show is that David also reminds them what that day is about. He goes out of his way to make sure they are not stressed or upset or turning their wedding into a mass production mess. I have sat to watch this show and cry over a woman that bought her dress online; it was too small, stained and just miserable to see. I watched him turn a ridiculous idea of medieval costume wedding into a beautiful, colorful wedding that brought people back into time without seeing swords and fake fires from a dollar store.

Yes, if anyone can remind my friend why she wanted to get into the business this man can.

The day came for the seminar, Hilton Hotel in NYC on July 7th, this would mean taking a 9:40pm 2 hour bus home to NJ afterward. I dreaded the day. Why on earth had I let her talk me into going with her?

We get to the hotel and it was like groupies! Woman and men there early and on line already, we were an hour early ourselves. We sit in the room reserved for this seminar and wait. The energy in that room could just lift ones spirit and let it soar.

He finally arrived and the room electrified. He had no special planned and robotic speech, he let the forum unfold. Brides, event planners and fans of the show asked questions and he answered without batting an eye. This man that started as a 19 year old florist turned event planner guru – just stood there with humility and spoke as if he were a friend.

He gave sound advice, shared stories and even gave hints and tips. What amazed me is that I had two pages (front and back) of notes. WTF???? I am not bride, I am not even in a relationship, I am not an event planner or even intending on being one.

Well……his advice and experience is helpful to anyone. His energy just gave me the jolt I needed to get my writing motivated. The man is a motivator and doesn’t even realize it. I got on my bus writing more and more. As I unlocked the door to my apartment at 11:30 pm, exhausted, knowing the heat in the place would be unbearable until the AC could cool it down, I knew that I would be writing, even if mentally.

Yes, I do believe I have found a way to see weddings as something other than a nightmare. If this man could just get brides to listen to his logic, Bridezilla show would be out of business. Event planners would be much more successful, knowing that ‘putting yourself out there’ will get the clients and making ‘their dreams a reality’ will expand your business but most importantly in anything you do, ‘be confident’.

Sounds good to me! If I had to eat humble pie over the years of rambling about weddings, I would make that pie a cake and that cake would be made of 2 part wisdom, 1 part experience and a whole lot of sugar and spice. I might not eat the whole thing, but a little humble cake wouldn’t hurt. Right???

07/07/2010

No comments:

Post a Comment