Hello Everyone,

August 2019

It's been over 3 years since I have posted any material.

Today I begin with a trilogy based off a challenge someone gave me.

Enjoy the read

~g

June 13, 2012

AndMore...I gave you life so that you could live it. ~Maria Portokalosbit

Being a mother is not easy.  It never gets easy.  It gets harder as they get older.

You must educate yourself on putting your child first, inherit the animal instinct to protect your young at all cost.  Then they grow and you must for your own good and theirs ...... release, let go and let be.  It's so hard, I confess that I never not once thought of how hard it must have been for my parents to watch their daughters grow and their need to be released, let go of and let be.  Until I became a parent and it didn't happen quickly, the realization came when my son grew up and I had to release, let go and let be.


We recently went to my favorite place, a small cafe called Fine Grind.  I had not been there in many months and the last time I was there it left me with a sad memory.  I had planned to go there and just write.  Update my sites, blog, vent, write in my journal, the list goes on.  I planned to do anything but think.  However, plans changed and my son ended up going with me.

We talked about life, love and hardship.  I found myself saying things that I had wanted to say but feared I would get it wrong.  That day the words flowed with no pause, no error and plenty of love.


The only thing I did not get to say in a quote but rather in a longer way was the best and profound statement Maria gave Tula in the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding, I gave you life so that you could live it.


I may not agree with some of his choices, his route with love or his manner of deciding things.  But I gave him life so he can live it.  I admire my sons ability to take the hard road and walk through it as though nothing will keep him down.  He falls and gets up without even taking the time to slap some dirt off.  He trudges on... learning as he goes.

Are you happy I ask him.  He says yes with a brilliant smile. I tell him, 'That my love is all that matters to me'.


One of my parental fears was that I would die and he would not know how to make decisions, how to get out of a jam, prevent getting into one.  Fearing his heart would be broken, etc.  But... he started out early and has done quite well in surviving.

For the first time my son asked me what my troubles were, more specifically why was I so sad.  It was the first time I spoke to him about me and my own heart ache.  He listened like a son, a friend and a person that was weighing carefully my words which were hard to speak.  When I was done, my son, my boy...my baby gave me the best advice a man could give.  And in the end... having heard my decision, why I made it and although the pain at times unbearable why I would not change it; he said..... Mom, I'm so proud of you.


I had never heard those words from him, my surprise at hearing it matched his own surprise at saying it.  It was the turning point of our relationship.  The student has become the teacher.  The one that speaks has learned to listen and the one that listens learns to speak.


We may not cook a lamb in a spit in the front lawn, have a ton of family surrounding us daily, or a love story to write of and make a screen play.  We do however have the realization that we were given life and we are living it.

Imagine...my son taught me that pride works both ways and the great feeling does too.

Remind your kids... I gave you life so you can live it.


No comments:

Post a Comment