Hello Everyone,

August 2019

It's been over 3 years since I have posted any material.

Today I begin with a trilogy based off a challenge someone gave me.

Enjoy the read

~g

September 12, 2011

The Young Today...Intolerance or fact?

Certain things people say I have had going through my mind lately:

These kids today feel entitled.
The young today respect no one not even themselves.
Lazy, disrespectful and with no ambition. The whole lot.

Each time I would shake my head at the intolerance.

But I have to admit I don't see much of the contrary.

Like the one that has no self respect and therefore has even less for their parent/s.  Thinking that just because they are a legal age they can do what they want.  Even though they can't fend for themselves and at the end of the day; on most days they revert to childlike behavior to get what they 'want'.  Notice how I didn't say what they need.

No respect, they complain about how bad they have it.  I remember my parents waiting for each of us to be at the legal age where we could work in the summer.  They would take some of the money for 'rent'.  We didn't have a choice, if it was summer we worked a part time job, we didn't go out unless the chores were done and we watched out for one another.

Let's see how bad our parents were.  We learned to be responsible.  We didn't have time to get into trouble.  We learned finance early on.  The measly bucks they took?  Heck, it didn't even put a dent in the rent.  My parents would save it and give it back when we were strapped for hangout cash.  Not to mention the hundreds extra from their own pocket for clothes, food and necessities.  They taught us how to save for a rainy day.

My sisters and I babysat during the winters.  Easy cash.  It's been years since I hear of a teenager babysitting.  Heck, I rarely see one work.  I am not saying 'the whole lot', but more than there should be.

But the sad thing is I am not just talking about teens.  People in their twenties and well into their early thirties are a hot mess.  No respect for themselves or others.  No responsible acts.  Kindness??? FORGET IT.  I see them pushing the elderly to get a seat on the train.  I see them drink into oblivion then say with a straight face they don't have a problem.  I see them piss their money away then bully their parents into giving them money, some will just scam or manipulate them.

I recently told someone in their twenties that they were a scammer.  The reaction was just appalling.  A shrug of the shoulders, a tilt of the head and a smile.  That's what they are proud of scamming and manipulating others for what they want instead of earning it themselves.  It just makes me shake my head at the train wreck of a future that is ahead of them.

I asked another in their early twenties, what are you most proud of?  Their answer?  Getting my parents to pay for my car insurance.

I asked one in their early thirties, what have you accomplished for yourself to expect someone else in your life.  What have you to offer?  What makes you think you are a 'catch'?  The answer? Are you ready for this?......wait for it........here it comes........I want it.

They act like they are well above their years.  Looking down to those even younger when they themselves have yet matured.  Handing out worldly advice about anything under the sun when their own lives are a mess.  I especially love it when they try to give advice on parenting, that just cracks me up.  Don't have kids, act like a kid and expect real parents to take advice from them.

Their future seems frightening to me.  Their lack of knowledge and basic skills out of school is terrifying.  This is our future!  I hope they are the least of the numbers, but my eyes say otherwise.

I wish I could say that I have some optimism, but it seems you can't get through to them.  And..when you think you have you find that you've been had.

I pray for those that have smartened up.  The ones that are making a life for themselves enriched with kindness, respect and healthy doses of self esteem.

I pray even harder for all the rest.


2 comments:

  1. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

    Socrates, as quoted in Plato's Republic: The youth of today love luxury; they have bad manners and contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Youth are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up food at the table, and tyrannize their teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary and sad. History repeats itself.

    ReplyDelete