Hello Everyone,

August 2019

It's been over 3 years since I have posted any material.

Today I begin with a trilogy based off a challenge someone gave me.

Enjoy the read

~g

October 22, 2011

AndMore...Memory Foam bed disaster

I waited months.  Months to accumulate points, coupons and discounts.  No! Not for a flight, for the memory foam bed.  It's pretty close a months rent.

I finally order it and it will take 3 weeks to deliver.  It's not coming from a small underground factory in some remote region of the world.  Nope, its coming from US to US.  I wait.............(nails tapping).

It took TWO weeks, YAY!  I had it shipped elsewhere and got the call 'Your boxes came in and one looks large enough to hold a compressed memory foam bed'.

My son had borrowed my car as he is still looking for a job to hold him over until his deployment (who am I kidding...he also uses it to hang out, leaving me in an apartment where at one point re-flooring and painting was on the roommates mind...1/8 into the project the place looks like it was ransacked. (Well maybe not as bad as the pic above but darn close!)  The young!  They have no schedule in life.)  I stray.....

My son arrives with a friend and brings up the boxes, I have to take them home so I tell him 'Since the car is blocking a garage go downstairs, I just want to open the memory foam.  Online instructions said it could take up to 48 hours to decompress'.  He went off to stand guard of the car.


I open the box and see a rolled up item in a brown plastic bag.  'Good grief that is sucked in tight.'  I thought...out loud...to no one in particular.  Taking the brown plastic off the mattress was then secured in what I can best describe as Saran Wrap.  I unroll the wrap and the mattress balls back up.  'Damn, that thing is going to take at least a week to decompress. Up to 48 hours my ass."  If there are ghosts living in this apartment they sure get a chuckle out of me.

I unroll it again putting weight on the end and unfold it as it is in half lengthwise.  The 3 inch thickness is about an inch.  'Oh well, I will just have to let stand in a corner and wait.  Gotta go take the kids home.'

Next think I know I am flat on my back on the floor, my head having hit the door and the now mostly decompressed mattress on me.  No Swoosh sound, no indication whatsoever it would just pop like that.  I get up...I try to get up but my head hurts, my bum hurts, my back which was terrible beforehand is now in such pain.  I stand upright and decide to fake it.  As I go down the flight of stairs to go outside I could feel each pain of each step.  I take the boys to their hangout, stop at my sisters to drop off a dehumidifier that I am afraid will get ruined with the 10 minute a month repair project roommate (hey, $200 is a lot of money to waste), as she talks about plans for the weekend I don't hear much as my body is louder.....


'Are you F'ing nuts! Go home and chew on some Advil!' says the brain.
'If you thought the pain before was bad, how does THIS feel', says the back
'Well...after all the years of people saying you're a pain in the ass....' well, take a guess which said that.

I got home and was happy to find out that the mattress had no odor that the instructions said it may have.  I threw it on the bed, put covers on and showered, took some Advil and laid down.

OH MY GAWD!  (Actually I think I text that to someone last night).  It is AWESOME.  I slept like a baby, I woke up with no aches or pains (well, a slight bruise from the fall the night before).  Best purchase I made in years!!!!!

Saturday morning I sat out on the front stoop (as I normally do Saturday mornings to enjoy the ONE cup of caffeine I am allowed all day) and was just amazed at how refreshed I felt.


I learned a few things:
Don't believe all that is written in instructions
People really don't share the good stuff, NOW people are saying they have one and it's great
Wear protective armor when opening anything that decompresses
Make sure you are in a room big enough for decompression
No matter how exhausted, don't fall asleep with your glasses on


No comments:

Post a Comment