Hello Everyone,

August 2019

It's been over 3 years since I have posted any material.

Today I begin with a trilogy based off a challenge someone gave me.

Enjoy the read

~g

June 17, 2011

AndMore...Uncle Sam...leave mine alone

My son announced that after his upcoming 21st birthday he would enlist in the army.  His reasons solely for the chance to complete school, wanting to be a U.S. Marshall.  The recession has made it even harder to get a loan now that Pell Grant is gone.

I am to say the least devastated.  I could understand someone with a patriotic heart enlisting, one with the mind of a military career enlisting...but not for school.

I have shared the news and tallied.  I shall list the numbers below:

27 people said 'It will make a man out of him'
11 people said 'Talk him into (Navy, Marine, etc)'
5 people said 'I know (such and such) who went in (enter any horror story here)'
4 people said 'You should be proud'

My take...by the numbers:
27 - If training to kill or possibly be killed makes one a man, may all males remain boys.  If following the orders of a mixed up government and fighting wars we are lied about makes a man, may all males remain boys.  If making a decision to enlist entails the only reason - school, may all males remain boys.  If the military is the only way to make a man - shame on all 27 for your closed minded ways.

11 - If a person says they don't agree to enlistment, seriously? Does your simple minded opinion of which 'you' prefer make it any more enticing????

5 - Really? Really?  A parent doesn't already think of the many things that could go wrong?????

4 - I have news for you.  I AM proud of my son.  When he is right, when he is wrong, when he makes a good or bad decision...I am PROUD.  I don't need a uniform or a coffin for that.  It happened the second I felt him in my womb.

As a parent I think of this guy:
http://m.digitaljournal.com/article/143830?doredir=0&noredir=1
and these:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2010-07-15-army-suicides_N.htm
and of her:
http://www.jessica-lynch.com/

You shoot who you are told and possible get this as a reward:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/01/25/national/main2398468.shtml

Don't get me wrong...I support my son and if after getting all real information and not the BUBBLE special the recruiters tell he still wants to enlist...then I will suck it up and see him off.

But...these young folks are told stories...not to different from the BUBBLE stories:
MaryKay and the pink bubble of bliss
Avon and the business dream turn nightmare bubble
Join the military and all this can be you bubble

Remember...bubbles burst.

I learned a few things:
People are really quick to give opinions they would rarely follow themselves
Everyone is a judge to your life and parenting
Few people really know what builds character
There are more negative people out there and they are eager to share their miseries
I really don't give a rats ass what people say; in the end; I must do and say what I can live with
This is no time for enlistment - we can't even protect our own here let alone elsewhere
When you need someone the most; you will find only yourself there
When you find only yourself there; God is carrying you
The best advice someone can give you is in the form of a hug
No one gives the best advice...no one

No comments:

Post a Comment