Hello Everyone,

August 2019

It's been over 3 years since I have posted any material.

Today I begin with a trilogy based off a challenge someone gave me.

Enjoy the read

~g

February 03, 2011

AndMore.....Commuting while nature is angry

I've written many times of the trials and tribulations of my commute.  It just doesn't matter anymore what city, commuting from NJ to NY and vice verse is horrendous since the cut backs, not to mention expensive.

Add to it snow, sleet, 'arctic' freeze, bitter cold and icy dangers to complete the horror show that is commuting.

Arctic freeze - You stand at the bus stop, at least I am in a town these days where there are several buses to NY.  It's just...they don't show up till well in between one another.  By the time a bus gets from downtown to midtown; it is full.  The tunnel on this day was jammed packed.  People just don't stay home in bad weather anymore.  It is frowned upon or worse yet, due to this economy bosses are really letting their hair down and intimidating people into going in.  Or if you are like me, the reality of the pile of work that will wait for you when you return makes you take the risk.

Short bus trip to Port Authority then the subway.  I don't know what was going on but the subway was packed with tourist as if they were given a ticket from the train to their country - express.

I get to my stop and the 10 block walk begins.  It felt as though it took forever, I know the migraine I got that day lasted as long.

Snow - There is so much snow around that it takes more parking spots then cars.  Whenever it is street cleaning day, I must go around looking for parking, it is rare to find parking on a warm spring day, it is near impossible when there is snow all around and no plowing attempts to remove it.

Ice - Yesterday was just an adventure.  Sidewalks frozen, streets frozen, hell even the trees were frozen.  I didn't walk - I slid from block to block.  Low point of the year thus far????  An old lady had to help me - apparently she was able to root herself into the ice much better then me.  Even helping to hoist me up to the bus since the driver was too FUCKING DUMB to lower it (yes, the bus can be lowered).

This weather ages you.  Your bones hurt, actually all of your body hurts.  Your fingers no matter the gloves will hurt.  The getting off of one mode of transportation to another in full winter layers, the people thinking it is an inconvenience only to them and therefore making the commute that much more terrible with their attitude.

Yes...commuting when nature is angry will age you.  It will bitter a slight your joy with snow.  It will make you see people for their nasty selves, it will remind you that Old Man Winter is a cantankerous FUCK with an ax to GRIND and I hope Spring kicks his MOTHERFUCKING ASS!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment